Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card Topics
tambutso

Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Post by tambutso » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 am

Hello all. I am thinking of getting the Fibocom L860-GL M.2 modem, and looking at the pictures there are 4 antenna ports. To maximize the use of this modem, do I need to attach 4 LTE antennas (one on each)? I wanted maximized carrier aggregation, thus hopefully faster speeds. Referenced below is a picture of the said modem with 4 antenna ports. Any input s appreciated. Sorry for the noobish question. I am fairly new to this.

BillA

Re: Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Post by BillA » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:38 am

tambutso wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 am
Hello all. I am thinking of getting the Fibocom L860-GL M.2 modem, and looking at the pictures there are 4 antenna ports. To maximize the use of this modem, do I need to attach 4 LTE antennas (one on each)? I wanted maximized carrier aggregation, thus hopefully faster speeds. Referenced below is a picture of the said modem with 4 antenna ports. Any input s appreciated. Sorry for the noobish question. I am fairly new to this.

You could probably get away with just two antennas for about 70% performance (connect the Main (M) and Diversity (D/G) only), or maybe use a splitter working off of just two antennas (connected to all four inputs) for about 80% performance. But for true 100% performance you'll have to drill two extra holes and connect four separate antennas.
Notice how they blurred out the letters "HP" below the "IMEI", which stands for Hewlett-Packard, reportedly these modems run custom firmware, which may or may not work fully in your particular setup. The only way to tell is by actually trying it. ;)
These users thanked the author BillA for the post:
tambutso (Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:30 am)

tambutso

Re: Fibocom L860-GL Antenna setup

Post by tambutso » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 am

Thanks always for the advice Bill. 👍
These users thanked the author tambutso for the post:
BillA (Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:05 am)