Hotspots and Dongles related Topics
BillA

Re: NetGear NightHawk M1 Inside Antenna Ports

Post by BillA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:59 pm

gscheb wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Looks like a all in one thing to me.

Nighthawk M1 Other side.PNG

Here is a Video of someone taking one apart if that helps.
Where this picture came from.

Looks like the cellular modem is on the sim card tray side (likely soldered on) under the metal cans with the white sticker over it.
Well, the only way to tell for sure whether they are LTE or WiFi antennas, is by measuring both signals at a distance, with and without the antennas attached.

Tanbam
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tanbam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:41 pm

I know that this thread is a bit old, but I’ve done some simple tests using the internal antenna connectors.

I wasn’t happy with the drilling holes in the front strategy, so I modified the board a bit and soldered on a couple of U.FL connectors alongside the proprietary antenna connectors. Don’t worry, I’m a professional!

I’m not entirely convinced that the connector labeled “3” is for the LTE antenna, because it doesn’t have the same components around it as 1, 2, and 4, but I routed it and “4” out of the case using U.FL to SMA pigtails. I had to modify some of the internal plastic case to get it to fit, and just made small notches just big enough to fit the pigtail cables through.

It seems that there are seven internal antennas, so I’m not sure which is which.

Anyway, after I had the cables routed out, I hooked it up to my 4x4 panel. My signal, just the simple one in the web GUI, improved by 15dBm. I’m pretty rural and far from the tower, but my download speeds went from about 30Mbps to 65Mbps.

I tried it with and without the internal antennas plugged in and saw no difference in speeds at all. Removing the antenna from connector 2 dropped my speed from 65Mbps to around 40Mbps, and removing the last connector from antenna 1 dropped it back down to 30Mbps.

In the web GUI, only antenna 1 made any difference in the displayed signal levels, but I realize that that doesn’t show the full picture.

In summary, routing the internal antenna jacks to the outside and connecting them to an external antenna resulted in no improvement - at least for the bands that I’m using here. I’m quite sure that the method that I used was better than the eBay kits, as I examined one of those types of connectors that they use and don’t think that they would be grounded properly. The U.FL connectors that I installed resulted in a very solid connection, but no improvement.

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Tanbam wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:41 pm
I know that this thread is a bit old, but I’ve done some simple tests using the internal antenna connectors.

I wasn’t happy with the drilling holes in the front strategy, so I modified the board a bit and soldered on a couple of U.FL connectors alongside the proprietary antenna connectors. Don’t worry, I’m a professional!

I’m not entirely convinced that the connector labeled “3” is for the LTE antenna, because it doesn’t have the same components around it as 1, 2, and 4, but I routed it and “4” out of the case using U.FL to SMA pigtails. I had to modify some of the internal plastic case to get it to fit, and just made small notches just big enough to fit the pigtail cables through.

It seems that there are seven internal antennas, so I’m not sure which is which.

Anyway, after I had the cables routed out, I hooked it up to my 4x4 panel. My signal, just the simple one in the web GUI, improved by 15dBm. I’m pretty rural and far from the tower, but my download speeds went from about 30Mbps to 65Mbps.

I tried it with and without the internal antennas plugged in and saw no difference in speeds at all. Removing the antenna from connector 2 dropped my speed from 65Mbps to around 40Mbps, and removing the last connector from antenna 1 dropped it back down to 30Mbps.

In the web GUI, only antenna 1 made any difference in the displayed signal levels, but I realize that that doesn’t show the full picture.

In summary, routing the internal antenna jacks to the outside and connecting them to an external antenna resulted in no improvement - at least for the bands that I’m using here. I’m quite sure that the method that I used was better than the eBay kits, as I examined one of those types of connectors that they use and don’t think that they would be grounded properly. The U.FL connectors that I installed resulted in a very solid connection, but no improvement.
Awesome work! Thanks!
The Solution for your Internet Connectivity and Speed.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:09 pm

I bought some connectors to do this but looked to hard to Solder them on.
This is what I did do which helped getting better connection on the two normal ports. Only issue is solder is very weak if you put pressure on it. So over time they start to get loose. Don't know if I would recommend doing this.
IMG_20200303_193732860.jpg
IMG_20200303_201129388.jpg

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:20 pm

gscheb wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:09 pm
I bought some connectors to do this but looked to hard to Solder them on.
This is what I did do which helped getting better connection on the two normal ports. Only issue is solder is very weak if you put pressure on it. So over time they start to get loose. Don't know if I would recommend doing this.
Great idea!

When making mods like this, you should try using SMA made for PCB's. Notice the 4 (four) fingers on link below, they fit over the PCB and soldered to the ground copper foil. Center post of course is for the signal output:

https://amzn.to/3j6oIvK
51nM3j6D5cL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
Giving is caring, help me reach a goal @ GoodWill: https://www.northtexasgivingday.org/lovegoodwill

BillA

Post by BillA » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 am

terryjett wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:20 pm
Great idea!

When making mods like this, you should try using SMA made for PCB's. Notice the 4 (four) fingers on link below, they fit over the PCB and soldered to the ground copper foil. Center post of course is for the signal output:

And of course you could hang this great Andy Warhol painting on the wall, right behind the router. :lol:
Gotta love the artistic side of the mobile router industry. he-he

terryjett

Post by terryjett » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 am

BillA wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 am
And of course you could hang this great Andy Warhol painting on the wall, right behind the router. :lol:
Gotta love the artistic side of the mobile router industry. he-he

What you talkin bout willis? Now you making fun of the wallpaper in my bathroom...
Giving is caring, help me reach a goal @ GoodWill: https://www.northtexasgivingday.org/lovegoodwill

Tanbam
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tanbam » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 pm

terryjett wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:20 pm
Great idea!

51nM3j6D5cL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I’ve got a ton of these. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of doing this while I had it open. Looks like a project for tomorrow afternoon...

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Hello
Might not be clear in the picture but had to cut out the plastic case some to get it to fit. To make room for the sma fittings.
Maybe this picture will show it. More like slots now instead of holes.
IMG_20200303_201145914.jpg