Latency Issues? (Solved: QMI > MBIM)

Related to Modems, Hotspots, Dongles ONLY
swwifty

Re: Latency Issues? (Solved: QMI > MBIM)

Post by swwifty » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 am

serverside wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 am
Anyone know the answer to this? When did the Rooter builds start working with QMI?
I don't know exactly, but its been a few releases back.

I noticed that too randomly when trying a newer version of GoldenOrb.

serverside

Post by serverside » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm

swwifty wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 am
I don't know exactly, but its been a few releases back.

I noticed that too randomly when trying a newer version of GoldenOrb.
So just tried it, and it does work on my build version. I'm connected and....it does give me lower latency, still going through a VPN, BUT it's where I used to be, 30-80ms is what I'm used to and it's been 200+ now with the QMI mode I'm down to like 100-150ms, and spiking sometimes to 180-200. Better than nothing, but either verizon is throttling my connection OR the tower I've been enjoying is over loaded at this point, which sucks.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Are all your latency tests through a VPN?

serverside

Post by serverside » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm
Are all your latency tests through a VPN?
Yes, they have to be otherwise my connection is like 10-50kbs on Fast.com and drops packets and lags, it's completely unusable. I'm on a verizon MVNO, but I've never had this issue before.

serverside

Post by serverside » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 pm

serverside wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 pm
Yes, they have to be otherwise my connection is like 10-50kbs on Fast.com and drops packets and lags, it's completely unusable. I'm on a verizon MVNO, but I've never had this issue before.
So just tried playing a game and my ping is just as bad as before, might be a little worse since it seems to drop the connection randomly...this is getting REALLY frustrating. :(

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Sierra Wireless released a new EM7565 Generic firmware today as well as for the EM7511.

Release notes:
SWI9X50C-CRN-R01.14.pdf
(752.31 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 am

serverside wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 pm
Well, I understand that you have Verizon issues, but my suggestion is to reduce variables if you want to figure out the cause of the slower pings. Fast.com is a unique situation and that will tell you how Netflix will behave, but to determine if the VPN is adding to the latency, I'd recommend trying some tests without the VPN.

- Try the speedtest app for Windows, on an ethernet connected PC for speed tests.
- Use the ping option in the GoldenOrb UI to google.com and also use ping from a command prompt in the Windows attached PC. The PC will allow you to run more than a few at a time with the -n switch.

If Verizon is snooping on the packets and destroys everything without it going through a VPN (meaning the above non-Fast.com tests are worse *without* the VPN than they are with the VPN), then my recommendation would be to try another VPN temporarily, just as a test. There are some free VPN providers out there that you could use for testing, even if they might not be sufficient for permanent use. They might still be blocked or crippled by fast.com/netflix, so leave that test out of the equation. I'm only talking about testing for speed and latency issues with and without the VPN and with another VPN, to a non-fast.com endpoint.

Obviously, there are a ton of variables with all this, but I'm just taking an educated guess that something might have changed in your VPN. If two cellular providers both showed the same symptoms, and neither had issues before, then it would seem to not be on their end. The other variables I can think of are:

- Antenna got pointed differently (not sure if you are using omni antennas or directional). I thought I read where you said the RSRP was strong or the SINR was good or something, so that would seem to rule out antenna issues. Maybe take a look at the RSRP values and SINR value again to be sure they are still good.

- Hardware issues.

- Wifi issues if you are testing that way.

- Firmware issues (router or modem). Re-flashing both could be done, but I think you said you had a lot of router settings you didn't want to lose.

I wouldn't bet a lot on it, but my bet is still with something in the VPN changing, assuming all the other variables remained static between when it was good and when it went bad.

Does the VPN client run on your PC or in the router? And are you sure your VPN endpoint is still the same and didn't get switched to Switzerland or somewhere? :D

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:33 am

JimHelms wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:17 pm
Sierra Wireless released a new EM7565 Generic firmware today as well as for the EM7511.

Release notes:

SWI9X50C-CRN-R01.14.pdf
Interesting. It isn't available on AirVantage yet. Do you know how much lag time there is between firmwares being made available for download and being made available on AirVantage?

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 am

@serverside: One thing I noticed in the new firmware release notes does pertain to Verizon:

"QTI9X50-1131 Default NONCE value is incorrect for Verizon Requirements VZW / OMADM"

I would think some sort of wrong hash value would make something not work at all, but who knows -- maybe it just makes things not work as well. You did say another provider (Sprint or T-Mobile?) starting acting differently too, so this probably has nothing to do with your issue, but figured I'd point it out just the same.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 am

@serverside: Try setting the "use small packets" setting in your PIA VPN client. I looked back over your posts and saw that you mentioned that is your VPN provider.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/h ... eally-high

I don't see how it could help the ping command, but it might help with some of the regular data transfers you are doing.

One other thing I ran across is to revert a driver in Windows back to an earlier version (TAP Driver): https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/h ... ng-windows

Seems like they were having issues as recently as 3-4 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInterne ... h_latency/