Latency Issues? (Solved: QMI > MBIM)

Related to Modems, Hotspots, Dongles ONLY
serverside

Re: Latency Issues? (Solved: QMI > MBIM)

Post by serverside » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:54 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pm
Ah, I see. The Sierra command reference didn't discuss RMNET0 vs RMNET1 in detail and that they were tied to single vs dual SIMs. Does that mean you can't do dual SIMs with MBIM, or do you need to use 150D to enable that?

I meant I didn't know the history of why someone may have been told to use MBIM instead of QMI, other than firmware compatibility. Your tutorial has a good reason, with IPV6 not being supported over QMI. I guess that's why IPv6 wasn't working for me when I was testing it the other day. Do you know if AT&T supports IPv6 on their iPad plan? I don't use IPv6 currently for anything. It is just for general knowledge.

That was a fun read though. Thanks for sending it. It is interesting to see the path things have taken since the dial up modem days. When I tell my friends that I'm back to using AT commands, they can't believe they still exist. I tell them that there are just a few more commands these days and it isn't as simple as ATDT. :lol:
My question is why would QMI work potentially better than MBIM, as it seems MBIM is superior being able to handle IPV6 vs just IPV4.

I haven't tested QMI yet, but will after work.

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:14 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pm
Ah, I see. The Sierra command reference didn't discuss RMNET0 vs RMNET1 in detail and that they were tied to single vs dual SIMs. Does that mean you can't do dual SIMs with MBIM, or do you need to use 150D to enable that?
This I am not sure of. I do know that the Cradlpoint dual SIM Card routers all use QMI.

I meant I didn't know the history of why someone may have been told to use MBIM instead of QMI, other than firmware compatibility.
Yes, until the latest stable GoldenOrb build or the newer WiFiX versions thereof, it would not accept QMI. The modem had to be configured in MBIM prior to installing the modem of GoldenOrb would not communicate with the modem.

serverside

Post by serverside » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:14 pm
This I am not sure of. I do know that the Cradlpoint dual SIM Card routers all use QMI.

Yes, until the latest stable GoldenOrb build or the newer WiFiX versions thereof, it would not accept QMI. The modem had to be configured in MBIM prior to installing the modem of GoldenOrb would not communicate with the modem.
This is my build version, do you know if it will work on QMI?

Firmware Version GoldenOrb_2018-07-24 ( OpenWrt 18.06.0-rc2 r7141-e4d0ee5af5 )
Kernel Version 4.14.54

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 pm

serverside wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:54 pm
My question is why would QMI work potentially better than MBIM, as it seems MBIM is superior being able to handle IPV6 vs just IPV4.
Good question, but probably a difficult answer. The variables at play are the modem firmware, the drivers, and the router firmware. Something in there is adding to the latency. I doubt it is a problem with the MBIM protocol itself.

As for support of IPv6, again, I doubt that is a protocol level issue. It is probably just a matter of firmware support for handling IPv6 properly using one protocol vs the other.

These are just educated guesses.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:14 pm
I vaguely remember reading some old posts and thinking that setting up my system was going to be more difficult than it was. When it came time to set it up, I used a newer tutorial and it was easy (no need to mess with USB compositions or hook it up to a PC, etc.). That's the challenge with things that change over time. The old information is no longer relevant, but it isn't always easy to know what is old and what is new.

And then there is serverside's type of situation, where we're discussing this in a present day context, but he might be using older firmware that has to be treated in the past context.

serverside

Post by serverside » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 pm
Good question, but probably a difficult answer. The variables at play are the modem firmware, the drivers, and the router firmware. Something in there is adding to the latency. I doubt it is a problem with the MBIM protocol itself.

As for support of IPv6, again, I doubt that is a protocol level issue. It is probably just a matter of firmware support for handling IPv6 properly using one protocol vs the other.

These are just educated guesses.
Hmm, once I find out if I need to update firmware on my rooter or not I'm going to test this, I really don't want to have to update firmware again just to test, as I've got my VPN configured, firewall rules done, full VLAN and routes, a good bit of work has gone into this.

But it is very odd as MBIM seems to be the new protocol vs QMI which I would assume the old. Maybe cell carriers just haven't caught up yet.
xdavidx wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm
I vaguely remember reading some old posts and thinking that setting up my system was going to be more difficult than it was. When it came time to set it up, I used a newer tutorial and it was easy (no need to mess with USB compositions or hook it up to a PC, etc.). That's the challenge with things that change over time. The old information is no longer relevant, but it isn't always easy to know what is old and what is new.

And then there is serverside's type of situation, where we're discussing this in a present day context, but he might be using older firmware that has to be treated in the past context.
Yep, it sucked when I first set this all up, there was a ton of stuff you had to do. Now it seems, you buy a WG router, install LEDE/Rooter, install the QMI MCXXXX card, put in your sim, put in the APN for your sim, and you're done.
These users thanked the author serverside for the post:
unbunchster (Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:56 pm)

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:23 pm

serverside wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 pm
Hmm, once I find out if I need to update firmware on my rooter or not I'm going to test this, I really don't want to have to update firmware again just to test, as I've got my VPN configured, firewall rules done, full VLAN and routes, a good bit of work has gone into this.
I hear you. :cry:

Maybe another reason to have a separate router to handle all those things and only have the LTE router handling LTE related things. However, when I've been faced with similar situations in the past with other routers, I've taken screenshots of all my settings so that I could reset stuff relatively easily. Modern routers and firmware seem to do fairly well with built in save/load settings functions, even when the firmware has changed, but it seems GoldenOrb is not one of those and it is recommended to not have it save settings on an upgrade. I'm not sure if the same applies to saving the settings externally and reloading them after upgrading the firmware. Jim?
serverside wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 pm
Yep, it sucked when I first set this all up, there was a ton of stuff you had to do. Now it seems, you buy a WG router, install LEDE/Rooter, install the QMI MCXXXX card, put in your sim, put in the APN for your sim, and you're done.
Yep, that was pretty much my experience. I did have an issue where something got in a bad state and I had to do a reset on the router. I was presented with a chinese language screen and a button. I pushed the button and it asked for a file. I fed it the GoldenOrb firmware file that I had used to upgrade the firmware through the normal UI previously, and I was back in action.

But I didn't have to touch the modem firmware. I did that for the first time last week, just so I knew how it worked. I did it over the air, with the AirVantage system, not by hooking it up to a PC.

Falias

Post by Falias » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm

IPv6 works fine with QMI on both Sprint and Verizon.

Tested on:
1) GO 3-10
2) OpenWRT w/MM
3) Arch w/MM
Verizon was on the EM7565 (FW12) for all 3. Sprint was on the EM7455 (FW23) for all 3.

An interesting note is that ipv4 might actually be handled differently on verizon - I had mentioned previously that I had a single host subnet and that I couldn't trace anything with ipv4... That is not the case now - I'm getting a public ip with a /30 and can trace normally. The only change on my side since then has been using QMI - but it could be a tower/network change too...
These users thanked the author Falias for the post:
xdavidx (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 pm)

serverside

Post by serverside » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am

Falias wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm
IPv6 works fine with QMI on both Sprint and Verizon.

Tested on:
1) GO 3-10
2) OpenWRT w/MM
3) Arch w/MM
Verizon was on the EM7565 (FW12) for all 3. Sprint was on the EM7455 (FW23) for all 3.

An interesting note is that ipv4 might actually be handled differently on verizon - I had mentioned previously that I had a single host subnet and that I couldn't trace anything with ipv4... That is not the case now - I'm getting a public ip with a /30 and can trace normally. The only change on my side since then has been using QMI - but it could be a tower/network change too...
Cool, So now I need to know if my April build will handle QMI for my MC7455. Anyone know when the first build allowed for it to work?

serverside

Post by serverside » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 am

serverside wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am
Cool, So now I need to know if my April build will handle QMI for my MC7455. Anyone know when the first build allowed for it to work?
Anyone know the answer to this? When did the Rooter builds start working with QMI?