Re: WG3526-P \ EM7565 slow speeds

Post by JimHelms » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm

From a post on the Hacks FB Group:

5TB ATT Data Usage.jpg
5TB ATT Data Usage.jpg (17.56 KiB) Viewed 811 times

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:43 pm

And they still have over 15% of their cycle to go! That's some heavy usage.

1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm

xdavidx wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm
Some AT&T users are being shut down?

I figure that AT&T knows what is going on, but they are making money, so they don't care. It keeps people away from their competitors. And with deprioritization, it shouldn't affect other customers, so a win-win for everyone.

But I do wonder if the landscape will change and when there are hiccups, I sometimes do think the worse. :lol: There are other 3rd party services that buy in bulk from the main carriers and provide unlimited service. It just costs more than the iPad plan. Those are my Plan B.

Starlink, from SpaceX, will provide some competition, but that's mostly for fixed location internet. Hopefully it will still have some effect on pricing of cellular providers. Pricing also gets interesting when the cellular providers go all in on unlimited, fixed location internet service (home internet service).
I wasnt speaking about AT&T users specifically. I meant across the board. Like how Verizon can tell if your device is being used as a hotspot so the throttle the bandwidth. Things like that. I feel like that will become more common as time goes on.

Isnt Starlink just a system of satellites? Isnt that what we are all trying to avoid by using LTE? Unless Musk can combat the terrible latency and unreliability issues of your typical satellite carrier then I'm sticking to LTE. But you never know, that guy seems to always have surprises up his sleeve.

1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm

JimHelms wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm
From a post on the Hacks FB Group:

5TB ATT Data Usage.jpg
Im curious what exact plan this user has...

JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:06 pm

1337Jess wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm
Im curious what exact plan this user has...
Not sure. Did not say.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm

1337Jess wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm
I wasnt speaking about AT&T users specifically. I meant across the board. Like how Verizon can tell if your device is being used as a hotspot so the throttle the bandwidth. Things like that. I feel like that will become more common as time goes on.
Ah, I see. Let's hope not. :D
1337Jess wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Isnt Starlink just a system of satellites? Isnt that what we are all trying to avoid by using LTE? Unless Musk can combat the terrible latency and unreliability issues of your typical satellite carrier then I'm sticking to LTE. But you never know, that guy seems to always have surprises up his sleeve.
Starlink is a different animal. HughesNet type solutions are geostationary orbits, way the heck up there, hence the latency issue. Starlink, and other solutions that are planned, are low earth orbit. Because they are low earth orbit, they need to move relative to the earth to stay in orbit. And because of that, they need many more satellites. They will create a grid around the earth of thousands of orbiting satellites and the antenna on the ground will track their movements and switch off from one to another as they whiz by overhead. It isn't mechanical tracking, however. It uses beamforming, so there aren't moving parts.

Because these are in various low earth orbits (they won't all be at the same altitude, but they'll all be *much* closer than the geostationary satellites), the latency is lower. We're talking about 30ms type latency vs the 600ms type latency of geostationary satellite internet.

Speeds to end users are unknown at this point in time, but best guess is many hundreds of mbps or gigabit speeds.

xdavidx

Post by xdavidx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Oh, and although there might be some sort of throttling or deprioritization, I would be very surprised if there are data caps with the Starlink system like there are with geostationary services. Assuming things don't fall apart with the LEO systems, I see the geostationary services going away.