Looking for the best setup for my rural area

Related to Modems, Hotspots, Dongles ONLY
swwifty

Re: Looking for the best setup for my rural area

Post by swwifty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Sexyjesus wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Will do! Thanks again for the help! My last question would be, any recommendations for LMR400 and where to find it? Trusting amazon is iffy, and Id rather buy the bulk cable (50ish feet) with my own connectors so I can make custom length runs if needed. I guess I could just order one 50ft and the connectors needed. Should I get one side N and one side SMA to avoid needing a jumper from the lmr to the Modem or will a small jumper really matter for performance?
If you look at various ham radio stores you can find LMR400. I agree I wouldn't trust Amazon for it, unless its from a reputable source.

I would probably just use a adapter, or a short cable to transition to SMA.

Orvalman

Post by Orvalman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:16 am

I have been told that boosters will not work in the case of an external mimo antenna setup. You might only get one band. I am not an expert, just reporting what WirEng told me.

SliverGT

Post by SliverGT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:11 pm

I use a Wilson in-line booster and see my RSRP improve by about 10dBm. Not sure about mimo and you would need a booster for each antenna. I have seen carrier aggregation active on mine with only 1 antenna connected.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T ... UTF8&psc=1

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:35 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:11 pm
I use a Wilson in-line booster and see my RSRP improve by about 10dBm. Not sure about mimo and you would need a booster for each antenna. I have seen carrier aggregation active on mine with only 1 antenna connected.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T ... UTF8&psc=1
Did you install your outside antenna outside? I have been hesitant to put anything outside, considering trying this with the included antenna just sitting inside or even a larger antenna inside. Anything more you can share with your experience -- setup tips or anything that might be helpful to get it working?

SliverGT

Post by SliverGT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Definitely outside, I'm out in the woods and don't have a strong enough signal to put the antennas inside. I'm currently using a Mofi4500 on AT&T. There really wasn't anything to setup, the booster just plugs in-line between the antenna and modem. I have it installed on the primary antenna input.

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:47 pm

SliverGT wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:54 pm
Definitely outside, I'm out in the woods and don't have a strong enough signal to put the antennas inside. I'm currently using a Mofi4500 on AT&T. There really wasn't anything to setup, the booster just plugs in-line between the antenna and modem. I have it installed on the primary antenna input.
Thanks- think I'm going to give it a try inside and see. My phone outside gets the same reception as my modem inside, but maybe the booster will help. I'm also on a Mofi/ATT setup.

BillA

Post by BillA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am

A.Bursell wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:47 pm
Thanks- think I'm going to give it a try inside and see. My phone outside gets the same reception as my modem inside, but maybe the booster will help. I'm also on a Mofi/ATT setup.

Keep in mind, that a booster will usually boost your signal by about 10db, whether you have a good incoming signal or just noise. So its effectiveness depends largely on the the received signal to noise ratio. In other words if your received signal is above -120db, then your -110db boosted signal may not be high enough quality, thus your data speed would still be low. On the other hand if your received signal is between -100db and -120, then your booster will likely help to a degree. As a general rule, you're better off with an unboosted signal as long as you can mount a sensitive antenna to receive a raw signal below -120db. Course you mileage may vary from other factors too (such as sensitivity of the radio, atmospheric conditions, obstructions, etc).

A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:28 pm

BillA wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am
Keep in mind, that a booster will usually boost your signal by about 10db, whether you have a good incoming signal or just noise. So its effectiveness depends largely on the the received signal to noise ratio. In other words if your received signal is above -120db, then your -110db boosted signal may not be high enough quality, thus your data speed would still be low. On the other hand if your received signal is between -100db and -120, then your booster will likely help to a degree. As a general rule, you're better off with an unboosted signal as long as you can mount a sensitive antenna to receive a raw signal below -120db. Course you mileage may vary from other factors too (such as sensitivity of the radio, atmospheric conditions, obstructions, etc).
That is essentially what I found. I tried it just sitting on my desk with the antenna over next to the window. I checked the numbers and the signal did get better, but other numbers got worse - and I saw no speed improvement. In fact, I'm pretty sure it got worse. So I returned the setup.

Adam